Planet Dreamcast
  Planet Nintendo
  Planet PS2
  Planet Xbox
Community
  LANParty.com

PlanetDreamcast | Community | Mailbag | 9/8/01
    Community - Mailbag

9/8/01 - PPPoE help and Sega RPGs all in one mailbag!
- by Celeryface

Hey Dreamcast fans, Celeryface here to answer your questions and concerns about our site, the Dreamcast community, and whatever else you need to know about our favorite little white box, in the latest edition of the PlanetDreamcast Mailbag. This week we received and bunch of letters from readers about Bleemcast compatibility, broadband adapter help with PPPoE, Sega RPGs, and much more. If you have any comments, suggestions, questions, be sure to send them to this address, and maybe you will find your letter in the next edition of the mailbag. So here we go, it's time to start PlanetDreamcast mailbag packed full of letter goodness. Come join in the fun!

Subject: Sega RPGs

When is Sega going to come out with another RPG for any system (I do OWN a Dreamcast just so you know)?

Well you are in luck Tonya, because Sega will be releasing the next chapter(s) to the Shenmue series this fall with Shenmue II. The game was just released in Japan and is scheduled to hit the US on December 4th. So start saving those pennies, as Shenmue II will be one of those "must have" Dreamcast games.

Subject: Is shenmue 2 the last shenmue game for america?

i heard a few rumors about shenmue 2 being the final shenmue game for america. i want to know if they are going to make more shenmue games on the dreamcast, X-box, or gamecube, or just stop the production of shenmue

Good question VersagoCBX. Shenmue II will be the last Shenmue game for the Dreamcast. But the good news is that there is rumors that Yu Suzuki has been looking at the Xbox to continue the Shenmue series. Sega hasn't officially announced the new Shenmue games (after Shenmue II), but seeing that the series is very popular and successful, I'm sure that Sega has something in store for Shenmue fans on the next-gen systems.

Subject: Best Shooter for DC??

I recently bought a Dreamcast and wow it's a cool little machine, I don't care what anyone thinks. I was wondering which is the better game to own Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament? I've read many articles and many people say is like comparing apples to oranges and many say that there is something special about each game. I have not played either game so what are the pros and cons and could you list some features one might have that the other game lacks?

Thanks.
Ben

Hey Ben, so you are tied between which game to get? UT or Q3A? Well we have something that may help out. Check out our Quake III Arena vs Unreal Tournament editorial, it gives you all the highs and lows of each game, and should help you choose the game that's right for you. Enjoy!

Subject: PPPoE and the Broadband Adapter

Hey,
I just wanted to respond to IceGreg's problem with Outrigger. It is possible to connect to PS0, Quake 3, and Unreal using PPPoE, although I know for sure PS0 doesn't officially support it. What you need is one of those home routers (like the Linksys jobbers) that automagically share your connections and act as a firewall. The router I'm thinking of (a popular Linksys model, available at CompUSA, Fry's, etc) uses DHCP to assign addresses, and handles the translation between DHCP and PPPoE. Plug the DC into your router instead of directly into the DSL modem. As long as the Dreamcast sees DHCP or static IP at the base end, you should be all right.

My Cable/DSL Router works great, and now that you think of it, you're right it should allow BBA owners that are on PPPoE to be compatible with Outtrigger. I'm sure many DSL/BBA users are happy to hear that there is a solution to their PPPoE and Outtrigger problems, thanks for the tip!

Subject: Dreamcast

I want to be part of your mailbag. Your site rocks..

Thanks
Andy

There you go, you are now part of this week's mailbag. Now, what's you question? :P

Subject: Dreamcast Light Gun Question

I read on the internet that the Dreamcast light gun is no longer avaiable. They stoped making them because the demand was so low. Is this true?

The Sega first party light gun that was released in Japan never made it to the US, because of some of the issues that could arise with video games violence. But I must say, it was a very sweet looking light gun. However, INTERACT makes the StarFire LightBlaster, which was available at launch, and now comes bundled with House of the Dead 2. Very nice deal!

Subject: NHL

Sup
I'm a loyal dreamcasy owner and love ice hockey games but untill now i have never seen a hackey game for the dreamcast but plenty for other consoles. When I looked on this site I found 1 and am really pleased, thanx guys, any way i was wondering if u could tell me where on the net i can buy sega sports NHL.

from Kenny

You are in luck Kenny, Sega will be releasing NHL 2K2 for the Dreamcast! The release date has not been announced yet, but once the info is released we will have it available for all our readers. Look for screenshots today of NHL 2K2 from one of my favorites features, Screenshot Saturday! :)

Subject: Bleemcast Compatibility HI
I was wondering if the bleemcast works on all versions of the dreamcast, i was going to purchase a copy of it on EBgames the only place i can find it, but when i was reading the little product page description I noticed in bold letters that a sentence that goes like this "Note: Gran Turismo 2 for PlayStation not included. bleem! for Dreamcast will only work consoles produced before October 2000. Check the bottom of your console to find out if yours is compatible with bleem!." This made me skeptical about buying it because i recently purchased my dreamcast ( Exellent system )and it was manufactured in november 2000 so i didn't buy it i e-mailed bleem about it but they never responded but now I really do want the bleemcast though GT2, MGS, T3, and soon WWF smackdown all on my dreamcast makes me love bleem all over again. So can i be lucky enough to enjoy these masterpieces on my dreamcast or is it not my lucky day
steriotype

When I first got my review copy of the GT2 bleemast disc, the first thing I noticed was the "will only work consoles produced before October 2000" note. My suggestion would be too go out, buy the bleemcast disc, and test it out. That would be the best way to find out if it really is compatible with your system. But if you don't want to spend the $5.95 for the disc for testing purposes, you can contact bleem here if you have any questions or concerns about their product. They may be able to tell you if Bleemcast is compatible with your Dreamcast model.

That's it for this week's mailbag. If you have any questions, concerns, or tips you would like to share with PDC and the community, send them over to this this address.

Stay tuned next week, as we kick off another great session of the PlanetDreamcast Mailbag!

[Main Page] [About] [Games] [Site] [Hosting Info] [Features] [Community]
IGN.com | GameSpy | Comrade | Arena | FilePlanet | ModCenter | GameSpy Technology
TeamXbox | Planets | Vaults | VE3D | CheatsCodesGuides | GameStats | GamerMetrics
AskMen.com | Rotten Tomatoes | Direct2Drive | Green Pixels
By continuing past this page, and by your continued use of this site, you agree to be bound by and abide by the User Agreement.
Copyright 1996-2009, IGN Entertainment, Inc.   About Us | Support | Advertise | Privacy Policy | User Agreement Subscribe to RSS Feeds RSS Feeds
IGN's enterprise databases running Oracle, SQL and MySQL are professionally monitored and managed by Pythian Remote DBA.